HEALTHY spaghetti and meatballs
This post contains both a vegetarian "meatball" and a classic meatball (with a healthy twist!). Enjoy!
-1 can/14.5 OZ chickpeas (rinsed)
-1 Cup mashed sweet potatoes (cooked and mashed)
-1/2 Cup rolled oats
-1/2 Cup yellow onion (diced)
-1/2 Cup parsley (minced)
-2 eggs (beaten)
-1 tsp. cumin
-3/4 tsp. sea salt
-1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
-1/4-1/2 Cup coconut oil/or other type of oil (vegetable, olive, etc.)
-1 lemon or lime (in wedges)
1. Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and use a fork to smash them thoroughly. Add in the sweet potato, oats, onion, parsley, eggs, cumin, salt and pepper and stir everything together. Allow the mixture to sit for about 20 minutes in the fridge to set.
2. Heat up a skillet over medium-heat. Thoroughly coat the skillet with the oil. Scoop batter into this skillet and press down with a spatula. Repeat this process until all of the batter is used up.
3. Allow 'meatballs' to cook sufficiently until golden brown on both sides (approx. 2-3 min each side.). Once cooked, move 'meatballs' to paper towel.
4. Garnish cakes with lemon or lime wedges. Enjoy!
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
-1/3 Cup almond flour or oat flour
-1/4 Cup parsley (finely chopped)
-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
-1/2 tsp. sea salt
-1/4 tsp. black pepper
-1 lb. ground turkey meat
-1 whole egg
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Use parchment paper to line baking sheet. Sprinkle olive oil across paper.
2. Mix cheese, flour, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix in the turkey and egg with your hands. Allow mixture to sit for about 20 minutes.
3. Use a ice cream scoop or spoon to roll meat into balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake meatballs in the center of the oven for about 20 minutes. After, remove them from oven, flip them onto their opposite side and let them cook until golden brown. Cut into meatballs to check for pinkness.
5. Once done eat up!
Prepare either the Sweet Potato Chickpea 'Meatballs' or the Turkey Meatballs with our Zucchini Noodles and Scape Pesto (both recipes found earlier in the CCF blog!). This completes a delicious, healthy alternative to your favorite pasta dish!!