Here’s what you’ll need:
-3 tablespoons of olive oil
-1 yellow or white onion, chopped
-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
-2 celery stalks, chopped
-1-2 Cups of your choice of in-season veggies (I used canned artichokes, chopped bell pepper, and kale)
-6 garlic cloves, minced
-1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
-1 can of diced tomatoes
-1 cup of quinoa
-4 cups vegetable broth
-2 cups water
-1 teaspoon salt, add extra to taste
-2 bay leaves
-1 can chickpeas or your choice of beans, rinsed
-1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice
-onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, to taste
-Optional: warm sourdough bread with pesto and/or parmesan cheese to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a big Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Once warm, add in the onion, carrot, celery, in-season veg and salt. Allow to cook, for about 6-8 minutes.
2. Add in the garlic and thyme and cook for one minute. Then pour in the canned tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour in the quinoa, broth and water. Add to the mixture, 1 tsp of salt, 2 bay leaves, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Increase heat and allow mixture to boil. Then, partially cover pot and turn down the heat, while maintaining a simmer.
4. Cook for about 25 minutes, then take off the lid and add in beans/chickpeas and chopped kale. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes or longer.
5. Turn off the heat of the stove. Stir in lemon juice and add salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder to taste! Allow soup to cool and eat up!