Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
-2 large green bell peppers
-1/2 pound ground sirloin
-1 cup chopped onion
-1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
-1 clove garlic, finely minced
-1 cup cooked quinoa
-1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
-1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Slice the green bell peppers in half vertically, and remove the pulp and seeds from the inside.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the bell peppers.
4. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove the peppers from the water and set aside.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the hamburger.
6. Break up the hamburger with a fork, and cook until the hamburger is no longer pink.
7. Remove the hamburger, and set aside.
8. Add the onion, carrot, and garlic to the pan, and cook for 4-5 minutes, until veggies are tender.
9. Return the hamburger to the pan, and add the cooked quinoa, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
10. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes, until heated through.
11. Remove from the heat, and add the fresh basil.
12. Place the green pepper halves on a baking dish, and fill each cavity with about 3/4 cup of the quinoa mixture.
13. Bake for 15 minutes.
14. Set the oven to the broil setting.
15. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese evenly over the stuffed peppers, and broil for 2 minutes, until lightly browned.