"Why do you like farming?"
I usually just say that I like the simplicity of the labor or that I like being outside and being active. I think it is hard to give people one solid response when they ask me what I like about farming. People expect that your answer will justify all of the hard work, hours in the sun (or rain), the bug bites and sore hamstrings. It is really challenging to counteract the difficult parts of farming, with a single, convincing response. However, on a daily basis, there are many small moments that are incredibly satisfying and collectively make up for all (or most of) the hard work.
In this post, I am listing 10 of these moments that I'm grateful for, so that I can better answer this question..
1. The amazing views of the Adirondacks.
2. The sprouting of seedlings.
3. Ripe red juicy tomato that are finally ready to be harvested.
4. Watching the pigs act like absolute clowns.
5. Finishing a row of plantings.
6. Showering after a dirty day of working.
7. Finding more eggs than expected in the chicken coop.
8. Hunting for Matt's Wild Cherry Tomatoes among their winding vines.
9. Allowing your mind to wander while gardening.
10. The feeling of achievement after a long day.
There are many more moments that keep me coming back to CCF.
It is so important to embrace the good parts of your job and daily life. Even the most seemingly small moments can be incredibly satisfying. Happy Tuesday!